July 20, 2018

Northern Michigan

 
I recently learned there is some debate as to where Northern Michigan actually begins. I had no idea that Michigan covered 5 latitudinal lines or that there was such a distinction between the parts in the north of the Lower Peninsula. All this was revealed to me as I continued my mainland travels by visiting my aunt and uncle in Houghton Lake, Michigan.

Growing up as a kid, we would drive up to the Houghton Lake area to go visit my grandpa and grandma. The memories from childhood always seem so much smaller than what you remember. This was no exception as my aunt drove us though their old neighborhood.
Memories flooded in on more than one occasion of exploring the woods at the end of the road or biking around the neighborhood. Now everything was just closer.

We did venture out further taking a day trip up toward Traverse City and the Sleeping Bear Dunes. I got my workout climbing up the massive dune. With each step I traveled half the distance as the sand slipped beneath my feet. The climb, however, was well worth it as I enjoyed some beautiful views from the top. The trip down is really where all the fun was a I could help but slide down as if I were skiing on snow instead of sand.

My aunt and uncle have always made me feel like I am their favorite niece as this time was no different. My uncle pulled out all the stops cooking some fantastic meals. Thanks you two for reintroducing me to Northern Michigan.









No comments: