July 17, 2015

Loop-of-Love Road Trip Chronicles: Western North Carolina

July 14-17, 2015

The road continued to take me west, as I headed to see the first round of family on my journey, Nathan and Olivia. Three days of relaxed activity was just what I needed after my quick succession of friends. I did get to enjoy some of the natural features of the Asheville area with lazy tubing adventure down a river.  I too felt like I was in college again as we join some of their friends for a spontaneous ice cream social at a grocery store. 

The craziest moment however was when I first got there. I arrived just in time for their weekly Bible study. I always enjoy meeting peoples friends and getting a glimpse into their day-to-day schedule. One of the people in the group asked what I do, which naturally led to a conversation about Hawaii. She asked which part. In turn I answered Hilo. With a surprised look on her face she told me that she had been there before to visit her grandmother. From my understanding, Hilo was not a big metropolis by any means and was too surprised by the coincidence. I took it as a good sign.

My last stop in North Carolina wasn’t to see a person, but a place. I was heading northeast from the next part of my journey and decided to take a pit stop in a place I hadn’t seen in just over 6 years: Stone Mountain State Park. Many parts of the 5-mile hike were exactly as I remember. Other parts were not (my legs feeling like jell-o). I realized, after I hiked for a little while, that I was hiking in the opposite direction then they way we took with groups back in the day when I worked with Camp Cheerio. Still the views were well worth and loved all of the wonderful memories that flooded back around each turn. 
Next stop Virginia






No comments: