December 21, 2014

A Much Needed Adventure

As I was working on my Annual Stat Card (see here, here, here, here, here, and here for past statistics), I discovered that I managed to make it through the entire year without boarding an airplane. Sure I traveled to several other states, but all miles were covered via car.

Unfortunately, I can’t say that I weaseled one flight in the friendly skies before the New Year; however, my adventure meter has been so low that I was bursting with excitement at the thought of traveling to Washington DC to see Fiddler on the Roof via the DC Metro.

I don’t know what it is about the act of traveling that gets me so excited.  I relish in the idea of seeing new places, navigating unknown lands (to me anyway), and using my “street smarts” when I get turned around. I even went as far as ordering a pre-loaded SmarTrip® card so I could board the Metro with ease doing my best to fit in with the locals. Yup, I enjoy the research part as well.

I do have to admit that although the travel part of it all was a good time, seeing the show was a nice thick layer of icing on the cake. The fact that my roommate’s sister (Dorea Schmidt) was part of the cast gave everything a sweet layer of sprinkles, especially as I got to sit next to the rest of her family and experience their reactions.

Being on a round stage made the production more intimate as no one had a bad seat in the house. I am always amazed how such a small stage area and minimal props are used so effectively. The singing and dancing were captivating as well as the much needed wit and charm interlaced through a heavy tale.


The evening ended with dinner out on the town with the Schmidts and an evening ride on the Metro.  I am sure the Metro has lost its magical powers for the thousands of people that ride it everyday; but for this journey junkie, this much needed transport to a far off land came at just the right time.

No comments: