I have asked myself time and time again: how is it that I
can create a journal that I expect other people to interact with but never
plunge into the process myself? How could I live with myself? Aletheia has done
some of the pages, what is my problem? I freely admit that I have been
attempting this very act for weeks. I would tell myself every Sunday, “Heather
you need to do a page of the Be Messy
Journal. It is winter. Do the snowflake page. It will only take you like 10
minutes.”
Finally, I found the perfect opportunity to kickstart my Be
Messy Journal jaunt. With time and friends on my side, I pulled a journal from
a box in my car and asked the Messerly sisters to join me in one of the
activities. The task: Start a design or picture. Ask a friend to add to it (or
two friends in my case). Continue trading until it is complete.
I pulled out my pencil and drew a swirl. Then I passed it to
Ellen who added a star to the swirl. Leave it to Laura Messerly to pull out the
crayons, markers, and colored pencils. She just had to add color.
The journal hadn’t even made it back to me yet and something
inside me had already been triggered, and not in a bad way. I was completely
aware of how I was reacting to each new idea being added by both of them. At the
beginning I was curious to see how it would all play out, admittedly caring
little about the end result and more interested in the process (how fitting
that this activity is in the Process section). I found myself wanting to be
challenged. At the beginning, each was adding to the things that I drew.
Finally, Ellen took the plunge and added a back-and-forth “scribble” line to a
large amount of white space with a pencil. This was a bold move, and caused
some concern internally as the picture was already taking shape.
Funny, as I think back on it I could have just picked up an
eraser. I see now that I entered
the activity with the mindset of whatever was added stayed. So I took one of
those colored pencils and started filling in some of the negative spaces,
trying to see past the line to the shapes the lines created.
Hours passed. Ellen did have to leave halfway through, but
Laura and I pressed on.
In the end, the activity did what I was hoping. I found
myself flipping through the journal to see what I would work on next. By the
end of the day I had created a picture with friends (complete with venturing to
the questions on the Spur Trail), interacted with glue and my snow flake
scraps, played an intense game of extreme tic-tac-toe, stuck a fresh piece of gum
to a page, and had 4 jewels and 3 coins added to my treasure chest.
And so, through the sharing of this experience, the Be Messy
Challenge was born. Laura and I made a pact. By the end of 2015, every activity
in our Be Messy Journals needed to be complete. I am thrilled to see what will
surface during this process. I know that some of the activities will be very
challenging, asking me to venture into the less visited places within myself.
But that is also the beauty of its design as I have the opportunity to focus
inward on one page and then reach out and continue to invite others to play and
create with me on the next.
May I take every suggestion on the instructions page to
heart as I dive deeper into my creative juices and embrace the messiness in my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment