June 26, 2014

Timeline Research

As is often the case when meeting up with family, it often feels like no time has passed while at the same time being aware of how much time as really passed. When I walk into a room, see the kids I used to babysit, and find out that they just got married or will be graduating from college or high school this year. After the overwhelming of “I am getting so old” subsides, start to make connections like I haven’t before. Wait I was how old when you were born? or all of a sudden I take, what seemed like, two separate areas of my life and for the first time hold them next to each other: Wait, you had your baby the same year so and so moved?

This of course caused a light to come on in my head? I remember a lot of things happening in my life but do I actually know WHEN they happened? I know my uncle Phil used to live in the house down the road, but when did he move exactly? How old was I? So, my time with friends and family has become purposeful on another level. I have decided I am going to create a timeline that superimposes all of the milestone events in my life with those of my family (weddings, divorces, funerals, moves, births, etc.) and other major events in the world (inventions, presidents, wars, etc).


What a mind blowing idea right? I find it funny that it is so mind blowing for me as I have been keeping a written record of events in my life for the past 9 years (cough: this blog). I have a feeling I will find this project very interesting and quite educational.  With so many opportunities to talk with family already lined up, all I have to do is start asking.

No comments: