June 21, 2014

He Didn’t See It Coming

At this time last year, Hilary and Mark were playing with the idea that they would come to the States for a visit in October.  As time passed and October got closer and closer, I figured the trip wasn’t going to happen. Eva (my newest niece) still didn’t have a passport and Casey was due for a new one. With summer being the best time to be in Michigan, I suggested they wait and come then. That would give plenty of time to get things in order, plus Dad had a milestone birthday in June: he would turn 70. With that fact in the mix, Hilary and I began planning.  It seemed silly to come over at any other point when such a big event could take place.

I will admit, we were unsure whether or not to keep this birthday party a secret. Then the usually downpour of questions rolled in: where would this even take place? Who would we invite? How would we get word out when neither of us are in the area?  What about food?

We bounced more ideas around and made some calls. That is when the community that is truly family in our little town of Croswell stepped to the plate. One offered to provide this and knew someone who could bring that. Some could only come for a little while but would bring this or that. With such great friends and family, and Hilary and the rest of the Sephton gang arriving a week in advance this whole plan seemed like it would work.


In all my life, I can recall a few times when we attempted to surprise my dad with something. It never really worked. It seemed that the one thing that we saw as our greatest disadvantage (not being there) was actually our greatest advantage. He had little opportunity to suspect anything. Especially as I was arriving the day of the party! I will never forget the moment when he figured everything out. I think he was a little disappointed in himself that he would let the wool be pulled over his eyes like that, but in the end I think he warmed up to the idea that all of the people there were dear friends and family that just wanted to have a good time celebrating him. Happy Birthday Dad!

No comments: