October 16, 2013

Finding a Name

October 16, 2013

Having a child count of ZERO, I often wondered why some parents found it so hard to pick a name for their child. Well, now I understand. It isn’t because I am expecting a child (which I am NOT), it is because Aletheia and I are starting a business, and we have been toiling over a name for the past I-don’t-know-how-many weeks.

This new business venture in many ways feels like a first child—not knowing for certain that you are ready for it, wondering if you have what it takes to help it grow, and hoping that the choices you make don’t screw things up for the rest of its life. Still at the same time you want the best for it and you know that in some many ways the name can cause a lot of grief (to all of those children out there with uncommon names that people don’t know how to pronounce or to those with common names that are uniquely spelled, I feel for you…well with a common name like Heather I really don’t, but Aletheia sure does!).  Needless to say, the process has been somewhat torturous and relentless. At many points, I have just wanted to through my hands up and say “Let’s just pick one already!”

Now I think the filtering process has finally worked, the hours of panning and screening has finally revealed a little glimmer of gold. Now the refining process begins. Hopefully, come January, all will be ready to reveal.

No comments: