September 30, 2009

My Backyard Basically

September 30, 2009

Since I arrived, I have yet to know what it is like to work from the Outdoor Education Center (the OEC). It has been interesting to watch our apartment become the temporary OEC. Some days I will walk in to find a stack of first aid kits or tubs of gear or stacks of papers.

All of this really being no surprise as the OEC is basically in my backyard. It has been a little frustrating at times. With the OEC under construction and the finish date out of reach, a portable office has become the fashion. Once the OEC is finished I imagine it will be absolutely wonderful having the office just outside my door.

Just yesterday I was introduced to another part of my “backyard”. On Southern’s campus there is what is known as the Goliath wall. When I came for my interview, I was shown this rock face. It wasn’t until yesterday that I got a chance to climb it.

Still there is more of my backyard to be explored. I have yet to go into the cave on campus and there are ten miles of trails just beyond the challenge course that just happens to be in my backyard.

No comments: