September 29, 2009

Beyond the Job

September 29, 2009






I have realized that being here almost a month and a half now; I have talk very little about my life beyond the job. To start with, I live in a 2-bedroom apartment with 3 other girls (Top to B): Lauren (my roommate), Kelly, and Ann (a fellow GA). This may seem like a recipe for disaster. I can’t say that we haven’t faced some challenges, but for four almost complete strangers from diverse backgrounds I would say we get along great. After all, dull moments are few and far between.








I have learned to expect the unexpected in our apartment. Example: one day while working from home, Lauren walks in to greet Kelly and I. In her hand is a pillowcase that had something in it that was definitely not a pillow. Soon a 6ft snake emerges from the pillowcase. The snake was being used for an event and needed a little “handling” before it was to encounter students.

Another example, while Lauren and I were watching a movie, I noticed a bug scurry across the carpet and head behind the TV. I proclaimed what I saw to Lauren. Neither of us really wanted to take care of the situation, as this was becoming a regular occurrence due to the fact that we practically live in a basement. Then suddenly, my brain computed what I saw. I sat up quickly and said to Lauren, “Was that a scorpion that just ran across the floor?” Immediately, we both jumped up and ran to look behind the TV. What I thought I saw was confirmed to be a reality. We had a scorpion in our house. This in turn caused some mental gymnastics. Currently, I sleep on the floor. Well, I sleep on a mat on the floor; but still there is no gap between me and the floor. I was dipping into some strong mental power reserves as I fell asleep that night.

As you can probably imagine with 4 girls, our place is filled with different aromas, as we each like to cook and bake different things. It is rare to have us all in at the same time as three of us being GAs during this busy season and Kelly being a nursing major on the road to graduation in December. Even so, I am sure more memorable moments will arise as my time here progresses.

No comments: