September 8, 2018

Lili'uokalani


This annual September celebration has returned. I always find the Liliuokalani festival holds a certain sweetness as it was the first festival I went to after moving to the island. The highlight in the past has always been the orchids dropping from the sky to open the event. Sadly, this wasn’t possible this year as the volcano lava took the orchid farm that donated the flowers.

Still the festivities moved forward and, as is tradition, the weather was magnificent. I taiko drummers were better than I had seen yet, and I even participated in a Japanese tea ceremony. As a special treat, I ran into one of my new housemates as a she was beginning to make a lei out of ferns. The final results were a bit wild but still full of beauty.




1 comment:

Mom said...

Love that last picture of you with your lei.