These days, I am seeing a trend in my gift giving. Lately
the gifts have been for those that are leaving, and is tradition to my closure
practices, I search to find something that I can create that is a connecting
point of my experience with that person and the place I interacted with them.
For the two co-workers leaving next, their gifts fell right into play.
The challenge comes in those gifts you are expected to give
every year. I try my best to take notes during the year. Discovering what
people are interested in or finding something that is connected to a memory we
share. This year, while my painting hand itching to create something, the
medium was not a hard choice. The toughest part was figuring out the subject
matter and facing head on the idea that what I see in my head will not be
exactly what I will see on paper.
And so this Father’s Day, my gift to my dad was really about
me. It was a representation of what he brought into my life. Music. The type of
music is a minor detail compared to the deep appreciation he has for it. It is
a wonderful, on-going gift that continues to be given. And for that, Dad, I am
grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment