November 1, 2015

Halloween in Hilo


In Michigan growing up, Halloween was a time when you have to combine creativity and practicality. What costume could I come up with that was good but also warm? In Hawaii, warmth isn’t an issue. The warm weather also gives rise to the front lawn party signaling trick-or-treaters to come their way instead of the ol’ front-porch-light signal, a candle in comparison to the front-lawn-party beacon.


For the first time in ages, I had to put my costume creative juices to work. Over the past 2 months I have been adding line dancing to my off-shift ritual. I go the Thursday I get off. I am usually bone tired and in disbelief that I have any brainpower left to get my feet to go where they are supposed to. In the end, I start my walk home at 11:30pm completely reenergized. Line Dancing has become my therapy. And so with the opportunity to have that feeling twice in one week, I made myself dig deep in the ol’ creativity box. With little to work with in my closet, I was pretty proud of what I was able to pull off. I only spent $2.50 on the cape (a shirt that I sowed into a cape shape by hand), turned other articles of clothing inside out, wore some backwards, and used yellow card stock paper to create the accents.

A part of me thought I would be the only one there who dressed up. After all, it was optional. After I arrived I was so glad I did! Everyone embraced the fun and by the end of the evening two Batmans and a Cat Women had showed up as well. Taking the forgotten-sidekick angle was a superb idea!
The night prior I got to cross a hard to find item off of my bucket list: a silent film with live music. The Palace theatre was celebrating its 90th birthday by showing the original film that opened the theater in 1925. The pipe organ player was absolutely phenomenal! This guy played for two hours straight without one sheet of music. The standing ovation at the end was well deserved.

Friday, October 30th: Silent Film At the Palace “Don Q- Son of Zorro”
Saturday, October 31st: Halloween “Fun” Raiser Costume Party








No comments: