August 7, 2015

The Colorado Connection


August 4-7, 2015

As I was looking out the window next to me, with the landscape far below I couldn’t help contemplating two things: Where has time gone? For the past month and a half I have been seeing so many wonderful people that I haven’t seen in years – some even beyond a decade. How is that possible? In my memory palace, I can recall the last place and year that I saw each person, like a great wall of framed moments of my experiences that all seem like they happened yesterday. Yet when I take the picture off the wall and flip it over, the date on the back sets me back. How can it be that the last time I saw this wonderful friend was in Florida in 2010?

Yet that is the case from my friend and former roommate Lauren. The days of Grad-school craziness are so clear; I can easily recall the first day we met. Now, she is living in Colorado on her way to being a paramedic.











My visit to Colorado was jam packed as I wove in time with cousins I hadn’t seen is years and my old Duke boss, Levi. My visit with Levi included a tour of UC Boulder and a small paragraph in our conversations that led to me second item of contemplation: Can the world really be that small?

When in Western North Carolina a matter of weeks ago, I met someone during my cousins Bible study that has a grandmother that lives in Hilo. As I was filling Levi in on my next adventure, he proceeds to tell me that his sister lives in Hilo, HI. Naturally, my internal reaction was WHHAAATTT!!?!?! I shared a cubical with this guy for months and never recalled him mentioning this. True I might not have remembered the town but having a sister that lives in the state of Hawaii is a pretty fun fact to throw out there.

Fortunately, my last stop before Hawaii includes a dear friend that I have seen within the last 365 days. Time to touchdown in California.

No comments: