June 21, 2015

Parting Gift

Leaving well is always the main objective when I move on from a place. I have come to realize the vast importance of closure. Although others that are staying behind might not know or articulate it, I believe they need closure just as much. So I take it upon myself to be the one to initiate it.

In the past my closure has come in different forms like a card or a note. As of lately my trend has been a gift that I craft that has meaning or significance.

Time started ticking away pretty quickly before I was inspired for this project. I am, too, a very big fan of using what I have. This gift, however, went a step further. Not only did I use what I already have, but the items that I used came from the location that is being represented in the gift.

Let me explain:

The gift I constructed was for each of my co-workers at Frey's Greenhouse. The purple flower is a replica of the logo for Frey's. The different colored foil used to make the logo came from the scrap pieces of foil we used to wrap pots. The soil in the flower pot is from a paper bag that we are all to familiar with as we cut down bags day after day so plants aren't crushed by the tall sides of the bag.

Then I realized by putting the logo on a piece of tile and covering it with a waterproof finish the recipient has a list of choices how to use it: add it as a decoration to their own garden or as a coaster on their coffee table. The choice is theirs, but however they choose to use it, my hope is that when they see it they will be reminded of all of the great memories I have of working with each of them. I know when I look at mine, my mind is flooded with so many great memories that I am soon overflowing with gratitude. Giving something such as this is the least that I could do. Closure may have been the motive but in essence I want to move on from this place feeling like the people that have impacted my life know that each one them is truly appreciated.

No comments: