It seems that having been working at Hobby Lobby for over
two months now, I still have the ability to walk home at the end of the day feeling
like a complete idiot. I walk into work each shift thinking I am a clever, well
educated, quick learner who is getting the hang of it; that I will remember
what is needed when a customer places a piece of needleart in front of me, that
I will remember that spacers are needed when a piece of art has no mat; but I
don’t. Instead, I walk in to find that I forgot to shut the compressor off the
night before when I closed or that I didn’t fill out one of the forms correctly
or I forgot to make a note about using photo corners verse tape.
You might think I am being hard on myself. It is true that I
am getting better. It is also true that my experiences of ignorance have come
in handy in empathizing with Aletheia when she comes home from her new
part-time job feeling the exact way I have felt time and time again. So now, we
come home comparing notes and stories, wondering if we will make it though a
workday without making any mistakes. Instead it seems everyday contains a least
one piece of humble pie, a tough flavor to acquired a taste to but essential
none the less.

No comments:
Post a Comment