
February 3 -7, 2010
That time of year arrived yet again, the Association of Challenge Course Technology (ACCT) conference. As always, a new year and a new city. This year, my backyard: Atlanta. It was hard to believe that this was my 5th year in a row that I have been to this conference. Once again, Lynette was there to continue with tradition as well as I was on Service Crew. This time, I was not alone in my travels, as Jeremy and Lauren saw came along for the adventure.
For her first year, Lauren walked around knowing more people than I did. She was constantly turning around to see yet another face she knew. Many of the regulars I recognized. However, some of the most familiar faces to me appeared at the annual euchre tournament. Lynette and I were back ready to win it all.
Some of the pairs we played were so funny I can’t even begin to describe the experience. One of our opponents described us as nice, innocent looking young ladies that deceived everyone. For when they weren’t looking, the fins poked through our disguises and our true card-shark colors came out.
With comments like that, we thought we had it in the bag. Well, our winning streak ended when we faced the other undefeated team. We lost to a team that just learned how to play euchre that evening.
Unlike years in the past, we moved into the losing bracket. Yes, this year was not a one-loss elimination. We continued to play. The hours passed, until we found ourselves up against the still undefeated team composed of beginners. If we lost, we
would have to settle for 2nd place yet again. If we won, our battle was not over. We would have to play them again for the championship round. Lynette and I had come this far, and we both knew that 2nd place was not an option.
Our speed and awareness at the early morning hours were our secret weapon. For close to the 2 o’clock hour, victory was ours.
No comments:
Post a Comment