January 3, 2010

Quilt This

January 2, 2010

With all of my first semester of Grad school homework turned in, the time finally opened up to work on a few projects I have been putting on the back burner. Something I have always wanted to do was make a quilt. It has been on my life list for a while (My mother can testify to my

unfinished attempts in the past) My sister made a quilt out of old jeans when I was in college. I still love that quilt. She always made it seem so easy and quick. With a few weeks at my disposal, how hard could it really be?

With my present situation being a little tight in the cash department, I had to use what I already had. I have been in Tennessee for over four months now. The time to go through my closet had arrived yet again. With several moves this past year, I have been lugging around a huge stack of my old t-shirts that I have been picking up here and there through my college years and the adventures beyond. I didn’t wear them anymore. What better way to put them to use than a T-shirt quilt.

For a project such as this, I have a hard time remembering what life was like before the Internet. If you want to know how to do anything, just look online. After hours of research, I was inspired and willing to attack this project. After a trip to the store for the backing and thread, the process began.

By the end of the project I was glad about many things. The biggest one being that my roommates were not there to witness the process. My project took over my entire living room and kitchen table with a little overflow making its way into my bedroom. Scraps were everywhere and stands of thread stuck to the carpet like a colorful web.

After three days, I had made it through countless ripping episodes, stuck myself with a pin numerous times, fought a few battles with a sewing machine, and watched every Jane Austen movie I own; my quilt was finished.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Looks good.
Job well done.
(From what I can tell.)