This past week was full of reunions. I was scheduled to go to that annual ACCT conference in Portland for work that started on Wed and went through Sunday. My conniving travel mind could not waist this opportunity. I did some research and discovered that prior to the ACCT conference I could fly out to San Francisco as part of a three way journey for very little extra cost to myself.
So my old roommate Laura Shank (now Laura Poonen) and I where reunited once more. If you recall, she left in June of last year to move to San Francisco to get married.
In all my travel adventures, usually the primary focus is visiting someone I know. I like to do this because, as cheesy as this might sound, it puts our relationship on a different level with a deeper connection. The main reason being I now have a reference point to main things that are discussed in conversation. I have faces and personal experience with those people that she interacts with the most and now can refer to that when those people enter in as a part of an experience that is being described.

With Laura, she is in a completely different state of life now. I was able to see her in her new environment, instead of always placing her in Arkansas. I find it interesting to see if this new environment sheds a new light on what the relationship was thought to be.
In this case, hanging out with Laura was the same as it was before. She has always been someone that is easy to talk to. She could make me laugh with little effort. She would always do her best to make sure that everyone was comfortable and never hungry. This visit was no different (Especially with the never feeling hungry part!).
San Francisco was an added bonus on this trip. Although it rained almost the whole time I was there, we did find time to go experience some of the sights and the sounds that the city had to offer. Sondeep (Laura’s husband) has lived in San Francisco for many years so he was a very helpful tour guide knowing all of the best “hole-in-the-wall” restaurants. Although I had been to San Fran before it was only a passing through type experience. This time it was nice just to have the time to walk around and enjoy it and share it with an old friend.

Kind of Bizarre Note:
I also got to hang out with Ginger (help her move to NC last April) while I was there because she just happened to be in San Francisco on business. What are the odds?
So my old roommate Laura Shank (now Laura Poonen) and I where reunited once more. If you recall, she left in June of last year to move to San Francisco to get married.
In all my travel adventures, usually the primary focus is visiting someone I know. I like to do this because, as cheesy as this might sound, it puts our relationship on a different level with a deeper connection. The main reason being I now have a reference point to main things that are discussed in conversation. I have faces and personal experience with those people that she interacts with the most and now can refer to that when those people enter in as a part of an experience that is being described.
With Laura, she is in a completely different state of life now. I was able to see her in her new environment, instead of always placing her in Arkansas. I find it interesting to see if this new environment sheds a new light on what the relationship was thought to be.
In this case, hanging out with Laura was the same as it was before. She has always been someone that is easy to talk to. She could make me laugh with little effort. She would always do her best to make sure that everyone was comfortable and never hungry. This visit was no different (Especially with the never feeling hungry part!).
Kind of Bizarre Note:
I also got to hang out with Ginger (help her move to NC last April) while I was there because she just happened to be in San Francisco on business. What are the odds?
No comments:
Post a Comment