April 6, 2018

Merrie Monarch

My first year on the island I tied and failed to get Merrie Monarch tickets. This hula competition is the biggest festival in Hilo and brings visitors from all over the world. The competition is close to Easter every year and yet you have to submit to buy tickets in December of the year prior. I didn’t even attempt my second year. This year I didn’t try for tickets either, instead I received the wonderful surprise from my housemate. She applied for tickets and got in, but her mother was supposed to join her. It ended up that her mother’s couldn’t make the journey after all so she offered me the tickets!

I had heard stories about the experience and did my nest to prepare for the hours of sitting. The picture of the stage was all I could muster as there was a strict no photo policy.

It was all well worth it as these amazing women, with such grace and poise, displayed the talents they have been developing for so many years. Some just floated across the stage with such elegance. And there hands! So expressive. Hula is really in the hands. In the end I am glad I chose to go to the first night of competition. It was the Miss Hula competition and then shortest night of the three evenings. Thanks go to Auntie Lyn for such a wonderful gift. I feel an added richness to my Hawaiian experience because of it. Mahalo nui.   

No comments: