For a good solid year, I work my way through the Be Messy
Journal that Aletheia and I published almost two years ago now. I was faithful
to the task. I practiced letting go or perfection and telling myself to just
let it flow out of me. And I did. And it worked. I saw tremendous growth and a
smoother connection between my brain and my hand.
But that project ended a while ago.
After a serious conversation with myself where I laid down
some hard-core real-talk, I did one of my first pieces of artwork outside of
the journal’s pages. I had no excuse really. I had authentic watercolor paper,
paints, brushes, and a whole pinterest board of subject matter. I was the only
thing holding myself back. I could easily tell myself, “oh you have never had
any classes in watercolor before. You don’t know the first thing about it. If
you make a mistake, it isn’t like oil or acrylic paints where you can just
paint over it.”
Instead, I said, “Heather. Get over yourself. This does not
need to be something that you have to hang on a wall. It is an opportunity to
have to try, experiment, and learn. Read a post about traps that beginners fall
into and go from there. Plus you have nothing but time to work on it so just go
for it and see what happens.”
So this is what happened. I messed up. I learned and I
exposed the lies I tell myself to the truth I know deep down. I can do it and I can do it for
myself. No one else, just me.
1 comment:
I think they are beautiful.
Post a Comment