May 5, 2015

Reflections Part 2: Be Messy Journal



The Be Messy Journal has once again reached outside the pages. I decided to venture out to my favorite nature trail around Stover's Dam to focus on some of the nature assignments in the journal. With 4 different colored crayons and a charcoal pencil, my mission was to get at least 4 rubbings of different kinds of tree bark.

I started walking the loop trail with eyes open to seeing any interesting treebank texture and patterns. One caught my eye so I place the age of my journal on top of the tree bark and started ,y rubbing. As I was finishing, a man walking his dog approached me and asked, "Hey, what are you doing?" So I explained what I was doing and we chatted a little. He asked me why and I briefly explained. "oh interesting," was the parting phrase as we both continued walking in our original directions.

I stopped a few more times before reaching the other side of the lake. As the trail is a circuit it isn't uncommon to pass some of the same people twice walking in the opposite direction. I rounded a curve and once again I saw he man and his dog. As we passed each other he left me know that "there is a really great tree coming up on the left" and that I "should check out its bark." Surprised, I smiled and thanked him as we both continued on our way.

As I finished my hike, I was so integued by the encounter. As a lover of trees and nature in general I found it so fascinating how by stopping and taking notice I caused someone else to do the same; to look at the land around them with a new pair of eyes...even for just one lap. Thanks BMJ.

No comments: