Aletheia and I are always reminding each other that it only
takes a split second for things to change – one phone call, one knock on the
door, or one answer to a question can really truly change the course and pace
of your life. The hardest part is waiting for that moment. I have been
operating in the waiting mode for so long, that when that moment finally
arrived it happened so fast that it almost didn’t seem real.
For the past couple of months I have been living a life that
did not include any predictable income from an outside source. Yes, I have been
earning a little money from Space to Spire, but it is very unpredictable concerning when
and how much I will receive. For the first half of the year, Frey’s Greenhouse
played the roll of steady consistent income as a part-time job so I would still
have time to work in the Spire realm. With the greenhouse season over, I need
something else. After many inquiries and filling out many applications, all seemed to be lost in
the large abyss of job hunting.
I have plenty of experience on the job hunt front but I
still find it tricky to know what to do. I have turned in an application, but
how much time needs to pass before I call and ask about it? Should I do it in
person? After two week, I went for the plunge. After all, what would be the
worst thing that could happen? I wouldn’t get the job? It seemed that that
would be the case anyway, so why not?
After walking around the store for a while, I spotted one of
the managers on the phone. While keeping my actions casual, I looked at the
nearby merchandise all the while planning what I was going to say once he was
off the phone.
Once his phone call was complete, I approached and issued my
opening line. I managed to miss understand his response and continue in my
focused, pre-meditated fashion. This got a chuckle out of the manager as I soon
realized that his reply didn’t even register. After clearing up the
misunderstanding with light and witty tones, I asked if they would be hiring
for the holiday season anytime soon and ending the paragraph with a short
phrase about not wanting my application to get lost in the “great abyss”. Yes I
did use that phrase. And, why not? I had already made a spectacle of myself,
why not jump in with both feet? Right?
Yup it was risky. I walked away feeling like somewhat of an
idiot. I finished some of my other errands which included picking up another
job application to a different store. I relayed the story to my roommate when I
returned home, which resulted in some laughs about it all. When I got to my
room, I look at my phone and saw that I had a voice message. It seemed that the
intro to one of those moments had arrived. The manager found my application and
wondered if I could come in for an interview the next day. Less than 24 hours
later, I am officially hired as the newest Hobby Lobby employee assigned to
work in the frame shop. My first day: Aug 25th. Let the new
adventure begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment