July 21, 2013

Community Effort


July 20, 2013

The Big Day finally arrived. For months, preparation for this even has been underway by so many different people. The training I received through the years of my childhood and teen years was brought back to life. The once used task of wiring flowers resurfaced. The memories of things I wished I had when decorating a reception hall blew in as I loaded my car. The whirlwind of the day took force as everything that had been so carefully thought through appeared with the help of so many hands.

While decorating for a friend’s wedding in North Carolina, I couldn’t help but remember all of the great wedding preparation memories for the Westbrook, Watson and Adams weddings in Michigan – the birthplace of my wedding knowledge.  Marcia and Judy, I gained a new understanding of what it felt like for you as I found myself surrounded by flowers waiting to be assembled into a bride’s bouquet just 12 hours before they were to be carried down the aisle.  I found myself grateful that the process of planning and preparing for a wedding was a community event where I could be involved along with everyone else who was willing to lend a hand along the way, even if it meant blisters from hot glue gun burns or sticky fingers from floral tape. Looking back, I realize how the community aspect of those experiences played an important role in shaping my life. I can only hope that I find opportunities to advocate that model in the future. 

So, I take this moment to thank Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy for letting me walk along with them through this process and understanding that, in my head, helping with both hands in any way that I can is the only way that makes sense.

 

No comments: