June 17, 2013
A common question I have be asked since I started my leave is “What
do you do with your time?”
My first three weeks were jam-packed with things that I have
been wanting to do but didn’t have the time or the energy: clean out closets,
purge unneeded things, update the blog. Then there was the laundry list of art
projects I needed to try or make as gifts, projects for According to Aletheia, business card for
Mrs. Sephton, logo for Talk Business, and bridal shower invitations. Then the
ever-present doctor and physical therapy appointments plus the exercises I have
to do at home.
I knew when I started leave that keeping my mental health
was of vital importance. I had a strong sense that I needed to stay active and
shy away from confining myself indoors. The two primary avenues I chose where
the Duke Gardens (can’t beat free) and involving myself more at church. I
signed up for a mentor, continued being involved in my small group, and made a
goal to crochet three scarves a week. I made a habit of checking the weather
forecast and scheduling time to go explore the gardens.
As items were starting to get checked off my list, I started
offering my services to friends. One for my friends from church is getting
married next month. I have always loved helping with weddings, so I volunteered
my time. Now I spend my time making a variety of flowers out of coffee filters,
crepe paper, and twine. This wedding has been a true blessing as it has
required my planning neurons to come back to life.
Now as I have been unpaid for sometime, I have had to also
use my time to make a little bit of money. I defaulted to my intern days at
Duke and started to once again participate in research studies to earn a little
cash. Studies don’t stop with the end of the school year, Many great
opportunities still exist. A couple of them (the better paying ones) have required
multiple visits making my flexible schedule a great advantage.
One thing that I didn’t really expect when I first started
my leave was the most amazing sense of freedom. I moments of weakness I do
freak out slightly concerning the lack of funds I have coming in, but I have
decided to not let that stop me from giving cheerfully both with my services
and with my finds. I just love giving.
Unemployment is not foreign to me. God has always taken care of me during those
times. I know He will walk with me through this and every other aspect of my
life. I have absolutely no doubt on that score.
1 comment:
I know it has not always been easy and there have been trials (I will never forget the halls of the emergency room) but you have done well. You have grown; you have created; you have given. AndI know you have hung unto God. He will not let you down. His timing is perfect.
(Am I reminding myself? In some ways but then, I know that God has been faithful in my life.)
I love uou and am very proud of you.
I have to believe that God is moving you into the position where He wants you to be.
Post a Comment