November 11, 2011

If I Only Had a Brain

November 11, 2011

Duke, and the Triangle Area, is the research capitol of the United States (unofficially). To earn a little money on the side, I have been participating in research studies of all different kinds, most involve reading or watching something and answering questions. The types have very little risk and take anywhere from 15minues to an hour of my time.

Sometimes I have been asked to consume certain foods and then perform an exercise or construct something. Most of the time I have little idea of what I am going to be asked to do or even what the research is for. I can remember one had the title of “Sorting Letters” when in actuality it had nothing to do with organizing papers.

More information is given concerning those with a higher risk factor. Knowing that Duke has many medical research facilities, I established some rules for myself before I jumped on the medical study train. Thus I was introduced to the world of MRIs.

The task was simple. While lying in the MRI machine, I had focus on a computer screen that was being reflected through a mirror. When I saw a green letter, I had to push a button with my middle finger. If I saw a red letter, red number, or green number, I had to push the button under by index finger. Pretty simple. After 8 rounds, I was pulled out of the machine and handed my payment. With the initial paperwork, pregnancy test, practice round, and actual scan the whole process took about an hour and forty minutes.

This particular research study gave me a little more than I bargained for– a unique view of myself and proof that I actually have a brain. :)


1 comment:

Mom said...

This is a view of Heather that even her mother has not seen.