July 5, 2008

The Hikes

June 24-25, 2008

My first hike was Illilouette Falls from the Glacier Point trailhead; amazing view of Half Dome, Vernal falls and Nevada falls for the first mile and a half. It was a total of 6 miles round trip. I heard many stories about bears but never encountered one. (Pictures by Sara Huckabone)



June 26-27, 2008



My second hike was to Chilnualna Falls (Trailhead Wawona). This was a four mile hike uphill all the way there but a nice quick downhill hike out. Unbelievable three tier waterfall at the top.



June 29-30, 2008



The third hike was a nice rolling, ten mile hike round trip through Lyell Canyon on the John Muir Trail (Trailhead Tuolumne Meadows). Although the mosquitoes were gigantic and ever y where, the scenery was breathtaking. The trail made its way through forest and meadows and was always surrounded by mountains.



July 1-2, 2008



My last trip was to a place that I had been two twice before: Kibbie Lake. Although I had been there twice in May, the difference in growth was extraordinary. I felt like I was in a jungle part of the time as we walked through ferns that were up to my waste. This trail although tough at the beginning was 12 miles round trip but really didn’t feel like that long. The lake was great to swim in and the kids got to challenge themselves by jumping off a rock into the lake.

1 comment:

Sephtons said...

wow! so jealous you got to go to places like that. we will have to go together one day. i'm sure lois would love it too.